Monday, 11 October 2010

Ideology Sheet- Analysising Another School Magazine

'CURRY COLLEGE SCHOOL MAGAZINE'

  • The background of the magazine is actually an image. The image gives us the impression of nature, with all the greenery and the trees. So this to us, could show purity of the school and perhaps calmness. Across the left hand side of the front cover, is like a film script, reminding me of something like a Hollywood scene. So this could convey to me, a theme of drama, perhaps the school focusing on performing arts? And I can tell all of this from the front cover and the images used. With the buildings in the background of the front cover, semiotically, the masthead stating 'CURRY' looks as if it is sitting in the clouds on top of the buildings, perhaps showing a high status of the college?
  • From the front cover, I have already put together a few ideas. From the masthead, I can see that perhaps 'Curry College' is of a high status, up amongst the clouds in the sky above everyone else. With the greenery and the trees, I could tell that perhaps the school is pure and calm. And then with the Hollywood script role, I can see that perhaps the school focuses or if gifted in performing arts? Perhaps it is a performing arts school or maybe even specialises in performing arts/drama?
  • I would say that the target audience for the magazine would be perhaps the students or even parents/carers of the college. I can tell this because the magazine doesn't really convey a certain vibe or emotion. Stereotypically, I cannot judge from the front cover whether it would appeal to females or males because there are no certain colours that immediately make me think. The magazine does look very welcoming and doesn't look threatening. It also states on the magazine cover that the magazine is for 'parents, alumni and friends of the college clearly stating its target audience and purpose.
  • The background of the front cover, is actually an image, dragging us to the centre of the magazine. As I have already said, I could convey from the front cover that with the masthead being amongst the clouds and above the buildings the college could be seen as a higher class and also with the greenery perhaps nature. I like the image to the left hand side of the front cover, because this shows to me that the school could perhaps be unique, because normally images are normally centred in the middle of the front cover.
  • The magazine shows us that the institution who produced the magazine of course are not a actual publishing company, but they are a school. Clearly we know the school is successful.
  • The magazine does not show to me to have any inaccuracy or untruthfulness about it. It simply is a school magazine,  offering what the school has on offer, not for people who are interested in knowing about the school. It cannot lie to us because the magazine is for parents of the school, and obviously the parents know everything that goes on and what the school offers already.
  • My first judgement of the magazine, was that it looked quite a friendly and chilled college. With the fluffy clouds, and the green scenery, this showed that the school looked relaxing and mature. It doesn't look threatening in the slightest and looks friendly and attractive.
  • The magazine does not offer anything directly from the front cover. However indirectly from the front cover, I believe that the magazine is basically showing to the parents and carers of the college, that their children are in a safe and peaceful place and the school looks safe to be at for everybody.
  • The magazine does not offer any issues in the slightest, it looks the most nonthreatening magazine there is!



No comments:

Post a Comment